Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert 2013

It's that time of year again for the Christmas Concert. Here is a great little recap
Concert weeks with the choir are pretty crazy. At the beginning of the week the choir president told us to kiss our family goodbye and say we'll see them in a week. True statement! Monday is our only day off and we're every evening from there. The girls didn't really notice my being gone but I didn't see Chuck much at all. I would kiss him on my way out the door as he was walking in most nights. Tuesday and Wednesday were rehearsal nights. Then we had concerts on Thursday, Friday, Saturday night and Sunday morning. Some friends came on Thursday night. Rosanne and Austin came on Friday night. Saturday night my parents, sister, aunt, Chuck, Gordon, Carol, Andy and Alexa came. My sweet neighbor Kristin came and watched the girls so Chuck could come to the concert. I rode home with Chuck and we were STUCK in the City Creek parking. We moved five car lengths in FIFTY minutes. It was MIND NUMBING and SO aggravating. It meant I was home all of about five hours before I needed to leave for the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast and mini concert in the morning while fitting in time to say hi to my family who JUST drove into town. 
I slept in my makeup and hair
 My fellow alto friends I sat next to: Jen and Whitney
 The biggest Poinsettias I've ever seen
 The set. Amazing!

 John Rhys-Davies was blowing me a kiss. Promise. He then grabbed me, gave me a hug and kissed me on the neck. He's the sweetest, friendliest person ever. He was our narrator to tell the story of Charles Dickens. He played the role of the ghost of Christmas Present and NAILED it! He has such a powerful presence. He's amazing. He and Charles Dickens flew over the audience. It was magical to watch from my seat. Him telling the story of the birth of the Savior was so moving as well.
Another highlight of the concert is Rick Elliot on the organ. My favorite part was his performing the Flight of the Bumble Bee on the pedals. WHAT!!!
 There he goes. Can you tell it's him? I'm totally bummed I didn't get a picture with him to prove it. He and I had a couple of conversations. Deborah Voigt also came and sang with us. She is an amazing operatic soprano. One of the songs she sang had musical notes written on the teleprompter. Usually it just covers the words. I could tell she didn't feel as comfortable with it as well. She had amazing stage presence. When we sang "God be with You" as our farewell she was obviously moved. What a sweet experience.
 The dancers performed for us as well so we could get a great view of all of their moves.

 After our long week my bestie AnneMarie and I snapped a pic.

 Nkoyo and I. Love my sweet friends in the choir. We're like a family. If I'm gone from my family every night for a week at least it's with these amazing people. I should've taken more pictures! What an amazing experience! I'm so glad to be a part of it but now I'm glad to take a nap and take it easy!

Me on the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment